War Memorial

On 16th January 1919, the Chairman of Dunscore Parish Council, Rev W Barrowman, Minister of the Craig UF Church called a public meeting to consider what action should be taken towards raising a memorial to perpetuate the memory of the brave local soldiers who had given their lives in The Great War.  Various suggestions were put forward and the erection of a granite obelisk was agreed upon. It was also agreed that a committee be formed to take the idea forward and arrange a parish-wide collection.

A grand total of £216 6/- was collected and the committee advertised for contractors to erect a 16ft high obelisk with 450  lead letters on it. Eleven designs were submitted, though some were not considered due to cost or design. Of the six voted upon the submission from J W Dodds of Dumfries was chosen at a cost of £184 8/6.  It was agreed that a concrete kerb and iron railings should be added, bringing the cost  to £247 10/6.  An anonymous donor agreed to make up the shortfall.

The memorial was unveiled on 21st June 1920 by Mrs Johnston of Stroquhan following a united service in a packed Dunscore Parish Church.  Brig. General Johnston gave the address.  Ex-servicemen and Dumfries Industrial School pipers formed a semi-circle in front af the memorial while several hundred members of the general public filled the roadway and field banks. Two wreaths were laid later that day. (Click here for a list of names on the memorial)

The names of the nine men who lost ther lives in the Second World War were added and unveiled on Rememberance Day 1947.  The unveiling was carried out by Mrs Black, whose son Ivy was one of the names added. (Click here for a list of names on the memorial).

**********************************************************************************

There is a Memorial Window within Dunscore Church which was removed from the Craig UF Church when it closed.  The window remembers  4 men, 2 of which do not appear on the War Memorial. (Click here for picture).